top of page

Mr. Outlaw was born and raised in North Carolina. In 1920 he left home to further his education at Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute, where he enrolled in a 4-year Blacksmithing course. He graduated from Hampton Institute in 1925, and in 1927 he moved to Onancock where he purchased a home on Boundary Avenue and soon-after constructed a 20' X 50' building to house his

industrial business.

Mr. Outlaw's customers were watermen, farmers, neighbors and friends. He was as likely to repair a bicycle as he was a crab scrape, oyster dredge, plow, truck or car, or shoe a horse. Mr. Outlaw operated his blacksmithing business from 1927 until ill health forced his retirement in 1991. Samuel D. Outlaw was a true member of his community; he served as Clerk for Bethel AME Church for 46 years and was Sunday School Superintendent for 58 years. He was a founding member of the Eastern Shore Building & Loan Association.

sam in shop.jpg
google image of shop.JPG

Mr. Outlaw transitioned in 1994 at the age of 95. His heirs have given this building and grounds to the Town of Onancock as a memorial to him and his craft, which he practiced for 65 years in this community. The Samuel D. Outlaw Blacksmith Shop Memorial Museum will house an exhibit of Mr. Outlaw's tools and equipment, and will open to the public in spring of 2019.

12-2-17 ES News p1of2 photocopy_edited.j
12-2-17 ES News p2of2 photocopy_edited.j
bottom of page